Friday, May 14, 2010

Budweiser Girls

This advertisement is in a beer magazine that is relevant to today's generation. It was made very recently, for the Olympics. Even thirty years ago, this ad would have been too sexual. This ad is geared towards American men. You can tell that it is American because it has "USA" to go along with the Olympic symbol. It is supposed to be attracting all men. It has three women: it has a blond for white guys, and black girl for black guys, and a brunette who may be Spanish for Latinos. Or if you like most guys you are really just attracted to all three of them, and you are like a kid in a candy store with all the different flavors to choose from. The ad is trying to portray the idea that if you drink Budweiser then beautiful girls are going to climb all over you in the same way that they are rubbing themselves all over the beer glass. Even if you don't buy into this the image of the beautiful women will still attract your eyes to the beer. This will make you correlate beautiful women with beer. Beer is supposed to bring fun. Time with these women would sure be fun to most men. So it goes after two of men's biggest attractions: fun and sex. This ad is going after any man in America who is not gay or really old. The color and font is supposed to be modern. It's not faded or old fashioned. The text of the Budweiser logo is very curvy and smooth like the women's bodies. Then the word COMP is for competition. They are trying to say that women will be competing for you if you have a Budweiser in your hands. This ad is portraying a lifestyle of barely dressed women and beer that is very attractive to young men who go out to the clubs.
As a consumer, I am definitely attracted to the women in the ad. I'm not really attracted to the beer very much. It takes awhile before I really even notice the unrealistically gigantic glass of beer. However, because I'm a christian, I'm not supposed to be looking at the women, and I'm not supposed to be attracted by the beer. The beer part is a lot easier for me. When I see the ad I just think, "Oh, another beer ad using beautiful women with barely any clothes on, what's new, now I need to turn my head and think about something different." For me the ad doesn't get across what Budweiser wants, which is for me to desire to drink alcohol or for me to correlate Budweiser with beautiful women. It has definitely gotten most young men though.


What I wanted to do was turn it around to make the women less attractive
1) by showing that 20% of women have Herpes
2) by making the point that the women you will get won't look like this anyway.
Also I wanted to make someone think twice about the combination of beer around women.

Formerly- Beer + Women = Good time
Now- Beer + Women = 20% chance of getting Herpes

Nobody wants Herpes. This would probably gross a lot of people out. But it is a fact that a lot of people make stupid decisions about sex when they are under the influence, not to mention getting a woman pregnant that you don't even know. Almost always the women never look like the women in the ad, although they might if you have enough beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment